FOSTER CHECK LIST
When you pick up an animal to foster you will need to do the following:
- Make sure the kennel card is filled out as follows:
- Weigh animal and record with date
- Note if a second shot is needed and write in date needed (at least two weeks after 1st shot)
- Bordatella should be given and put on kennel card with date given
- If fecal is done, write it on card with results
- Write in date of Health Certificate (usually same as run date) and time
- “Transport Date” is date of run. Circle “Ground” and put NYSPCA
- Foster Family Name goes at the bottom
- Make a COPY of the shelter sheet to take with you (never take original)
- Get a “Foster Report” form for each foster animal or download one here
- Pick up any medicine if needed (Panacur for worming, Tri-Meth or medicated shampoo)
- If you get any equipment or supplies, fill out sheet in the binder for Foster Families
DAY OF RUN:
- Feed your foster(s) his normal morning meal
- Try to bathe your foster before run day so he’ll start out clean
- Don’t forget to bring your Foster Report(s)
- See that a collar with the NY phone number is put on your foster pup when you bring him in and help us to be sure the correct names are on the correct animals.
FOSTER TAKE HOME LIST
- Crate to transport – MUST SIGN OUT*
- X-PEN (If available) – MUST SIGN OUT*
- Old towels
- Water and Food Dishes
- Any medicine you might need and plungers
- Foster Report(s) *One for each animal fostered *You can download the report here.
Please understand that we want to do everything we can to supply what you need, however, we rely on donations for food, toys, treats, etc. and need to keep an adequate supply for the animals remaining at the shelter.
Please Note: There is a binder labeled “Foster Family Supplies” in the office. Please sign out items you take from the shelter.
Pedigree Puppy Food VS Other Brands
The shelter started using Pedigree, which is a mid-grade dog food mainly because at the time the foster program was started Pedigree had a promotion going on for shelters which made it affordable. It is not necessarily better than other mid-grade dog or puppy foods. It is important for puppies and dogs to get a consistent type of food. Any abrupt changes can bring on diarrhea. (I’ve been told that Purina Puppy Chow has red food dye which combined with diarrhea can lead to a misdiagnosis of Parvo. ) While being fed at the shelter all of the dogs and puppies alike are fed mixed dry food combined with some canned food and water. It is not surprising then when you bring home puppies to foster that their bowel movements become runny after a couple of days – their diet has been abruptly changed. So don’t panic.
Even though to your knowledge your foster puppy has been perfectly healthy, it is still recommended that in between fostering , all of the crates, pens, bedding, towels and toys be bleached. To bleach the crates, pens and floor mix one part bleach to 10 parts water. Use a sprayer to spray, then let sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse off. Just add bleach to the wash for towels, bedding, fabric toys and such.
Benadryl is safe to use if the puppy is itching badly. The dosage is 3cc for a 7 lb puppy liquid or ¼ of a 25mg pill every 12 hours.